Why buy organic?
More and more people are choosing Organic for a variety of reasons. Research has shown that people buy organic food because they believe it is healthier and tastier, as well as better for the environment and animal welfare.
- For Health – on average, organic fruit and vegetables contain higher levels of vitamins, essential minerals and cancer fighting antioxidants.
- No nasty additives – among the many additives banned under the Soil Association organic standards are hydrogenated fat, aspartame (artificial sweetener), and monosodium glutamate.
- Avoid pesticides – over 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming, and residues have been found on one in three non-organic foods tested each year.
- Avoiding Genetic Modification – there is insufficient evidence to prove that GMO’s are safe, and some animal feeding trials have revealed unexpected toxicities. Organic standards ban the use of GMO’s.
- Organic farming is better for wildlife, causes lower pollution from sprays and produces less carbon dioxide, the main global warming gas.